New Hen - BO

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by teamsunbelt, Jun 25, 2011.

1. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    We introduced a new hen today. She is a real nice Buff Orpington, almost pet like. She is easy to pick up and will follow us around the yard. She is about a year old. I thought she would be alittle shy and take a beating or two. She was in the run by hersely when a very dominant Wyandotte entered. They both took up position, and then went at it. The poor BUff whooped the resident Wyandotte in a about 3 rounds. One of my BIG Jersey Giants came in to see what was going on, and the Buff turned on her and fired away. The JG ran from the run, head down. The BO left the run with her head up and chest out. I was worried that she would go straight to the bottom of the order, but I think she is gunning for the top.

2. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Yep, sounds like she's in the running for top hen. [​IMG]

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    That's funny because my most petlike, friendliest (to humans) BO is also in the top spot.

4. sammyh312

sammyh312 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    LMAO my BR did the same thing. within an hour she was the boss hen

5. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    Just an update. After she dealt out a few beatings, she has been put down the line. She spent her first night in the coop, but does not mix well in the closed up run. It may that she is out numbered by the few senor hens. She follows us around the yard when we are out and free ranges on her own. There is not much tension when they are all out, but in the closed up run, they are setting their boundries for her. I was hoping she would take top spot, but a big Ole New Hampshire is not willing to move aside. Of course that may change after Tuesday nights small animal auction. I think she can hold her own with the rest of the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by