1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new hen broody??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenshiha, Jan 18, 2016.

1. chickenshiha

chickenshiha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    3 days ago I bought an asil hen she is the only hen that I have (all the chicken are soled, planning on getting more soon) she lays an egg everyday! that's great since she is new and were in winter now and its cold! and by herself! anyhow.... she keeps sitting in the nest box most off her time from at least 8am and sometimes pm I think she wants to brood she laid an egg today but this time I just let her sit on it until I know she is broody some of my friends say she is broody(hope she is) she sits flat on the egg yesterday she laid an egg but I took it and she got off after that .. is she broody? can she lay or go broody when alone in the coop?

2. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    I almost forgot.. I will post some pics of her sitting to see if she is broody! hope to get some good news and great info about this behavior [​IMG]

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Mother nature knows best so the old girl has decreed that broody hens don't lay eggs. Therefor I don't think you hen is broody. This is also another reason to avoid (at all costs) staggered hatches. Asil hens BTW are good mothers. but you'll need a rooster or a source of fertile eggs to go further.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  4. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    well I think she s trying to build a nest since I keep taking away the eggs from her she is still in the nest on the egg now its been at least since noon and now its 7:00 pm and the other thing is that wouldn't a hen stay fertile at least 1 week or so? as I saw the rooster mate her before buying her from the owner I heard that some hens lay eggs to make a nest to hatch when theres no eggs and she always makes sounds when I come take the egg

5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Sounds to me like she is in the process of going broody. Since she was with a roo and if you want to hatch some chicks, then keep removing the eggs until she stops laying and only leaves the nest to eat and poo. After she has done this for 1-2 days you can add the last 7 eggs (you could add more but viability reduces after that point) that you collected. Eggs should be stored pointy end down in an egg box. The box should be raised at one end, then swap the end that is raised every 12 hours or so.

Good luck

Ct

Ps - you can always break the oldest egg you have and check for evidence of fertility (search here on byc or google for photos)

6. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    well the only problem is that I ate the egg!! [​IMG][​IMG] and boy was it good!

7. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    but wait I thought its almost rare for a hen to brood in winter? I had 1 friend that went broody in winter hatch rate 85% but the cold killed 3 chicks from 14 chicks

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Before they were domesticated (several thousand years ago) chickens followed a natural pattern. They would lay a clutch of eggs and hatch them a few times a year starting in spring, then quit laying and molt in the fall. They’d take the rest of the winter off when food resources were scarce and start the cycle again in the spring. But we changed all that. A lot have been bred to lay a lot of eggs and not go broody that often. We feed them pretty well in the winter so they can build up extra fat. They need that extra fat to live off of when broody. When winter food was scarce they did not have that extra fat. And we often add lights so they get all messed up on day length.

It still is kind of rare for a lot of hens to go broody in winter but it certainly happens.

A hen will normally stay fertile about two weeks after a mating. Maybe a few days less, more likely a few days more, but somewhere around two weeks.

I tend to think like CT. She may not be full broody yet but is probably thinking about it. It’s a hormone thing. I’ve had several that act broody but are not. Some eventually go into full broody mode, some don’t. My test to see if they are broody enough to give eggs is that they need to spend two consecutive nights on the nest instead of in their favorite roosting spot. Don’t worry about what they do in the day, that’s not sufficient proof. One night is not enough. But two straight nights, I give them eggs.

Broody hens almost never lay eggs. They don’t come off the nest much to eat and drink, instead mostly live off of the fat they have stored up. They can’t afford to use that fat to make eggs. They need it to live on. With living animals I’ve learned to not say never, but it is extremely unlikely she is fully broody and laying eggs. The other reason broody hens don’t lay eggs is that the eggs hatch around 21 days after incubation starts. The eggs laid after incubation starts would not be likely to hatch. That would be a waste of energy that a broody hen does not have to spare. Nature doesn’t like that. Since you just got her she may be acting strangely because she is alone in a strange place.

If she does go broody, can you get fertile eggs from some of your friends? It sounds like you know people with chickens. You probably want her to hatch her own eggs but a few others probably would not hurt.

9. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    i can get eggs from friends but i would really like to get asils from her but i wont hurt to get other breeds. can i try giving her white balls about 3 balls under her or is it to late? i put some food in front of her she doesn't get up she just reaches out her neck eats and goes back

10. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    today she hasn't laid an egg could she have stopped so she can get broody I put yesterdays egg and a white ball to fake an egg and she just kept sitting in the broody nest it is very dark in there but the door has some wire mesh and the food is near the light where she can see them food is she trying to go broody ? please answer and give me some advice and is there a way to make her full broody?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by