New Hen (EE) Seems Faral

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Henryettaslady, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Henryettaslady

Henryettaslady New Egg

Aug 8, 2014
    Texas
    Recently got a 5month old Easter egger and brought her home she squawks makes strange noises and just doesn't not want to be bothered I am new to this and only have 1 other hen well I wasn't aware of quarantining the new hen and place her with my established hen.. Henry took the dominant role immediately and after she put the EE in her place she left the EE alone when I go to get henrys egg the following morning. The EE pecked at my hand and the pecks did hurt Henry went at the EE and the EE got free and ran away. I couldn't find her for awhile I finally. Found her and she ran (very fast) I got her trapped n when I went to grab her she started pecking me so I held her like a football n tucked her head until I put her in her own pen but was very upset I was touching her huffing and puffing squawking. And squealing. So I need help idk what to do.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Where did you get the ee from? Just sounds like she has had little or no human contact.

She is probably very fearful of you, her new environment (chickens don't like changes) and your other hen bossing her around. You can't just put an established bird and a new bird together. There are pecking order disputes and the new bird generally gets picked on.

You really need to have the coop/run partitioned with a wire fence or something so the two birds can see each other but, not peck or cause harm. This may need to be up for a month or so - till both birds seem to ignore each other.

Meanwhile you can try taming you ee by spending time with her or at least near her. You can talk to her and offer some small treats to show her you are OKAY. Don't try to touch or hold her. Let her come to you. Eventually that will happen if you are patient.

After awhile she will look forward to getting treats and look for you, in time she will come close to you and maybe even investigate you if you sit on the ground near her. You do understand chickens are not puppies. Some breeds are more aloof than others - you have a much better chance of taming if you start with very young chicks and treat them kindly.
    At 5 mos. she is practically grown - she may never let you pick her up, or fly onto your shoulder but, hopefully she will learn to tolerate your presence without trying to escape or bite.

1 person likes this.
  3. Henryettaslady

Henryettaslady New Egg

Aug 8, 2014
    Texas
    Thank you for a quick reply. I got her from a small farm in moody TX. But she is in a small coop with a medium size run now but across of my other hen(still visible) Is that fine or should they be side by side?

I tried to let her roam a little in a gated yard gave her space tried to give her mealworms and the only focus she had was escaping I sat on the ground and she was still frightful also in the set up she is in now she has been looking for a way out she is not content at all.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sounds like she is afraid of you. I would work with her for a while and get her used to you. Go sit with her in a confined area and bring some treats. Sit down on the ground on her level and let her know you mean her no harm. She may come around eventually. Some birds are just nervous of humans over all. Spend as much time with her as you can and hopefully she warms up to you soon. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3, she is afraid of you. You've gotten some good advice on taming her above. It will take quite awhile for her to warm up to you, weeks if not months so don't give up. She should eventually come running to you for treats at least, even if she never wants to be picked up.

1 person likes this.
  6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes she is afraid of you. Treats are you best friend when it comes to taming.

1 person likes this.
  7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You've been given some good advice on taming your hen from the other members. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in taming your hen.

1 person likes this.
  8. Henryettaslady

Henryettaslady New Egg

Aug 8, 2014
    Texas
    Thanks for all of the great advice... As far as treats... what are the best to spark her intrest and get her attention? We are going on day 5 and she still seems to only want to eat after I leave her sight.. I baby talk her as I do Henryetta and been sitting on the ground and a big fat nothing! I even gave her a name Petunia. She still a sour puss. And strange enough she seems to enjoy our cat to be near her every time old fat boy passes her run she hoots a pretty sound and walks along the fence. Who knows?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    It will take quite awhile for her to get used to you. If you can, you might want her side by side your old girl (in different pens) like oyu suggested, chickens do like company and she will get used to your girl faster, and if your girl acts happy to see you and wants the treats you have etc it will make her more likely to want them. With the treats, chickens tend to be suspicious of strange things, and even if they are good treats, if she doesn't know them she will not be that anxious to get them until she is used to them and know they are good to eat first. You have her caged/ in a pen? Give your other chicken some and start leaving a few treats for the new one, just out in a pan or some sort of "special" bowl and keep using the same one for now, when she learns to eat the treats (may be a few days) she should start getting braver about coming around when you show up with them, just gradually make her come closer before you put the treats down. Mealworms tend to be a real favorite, most chickens like scratch, this time of year a lot of fruit like watermelon or cantaloupe, meat of any kind like hamburger etc, there is a nice chicken treat chart in the Learning Center, https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens and here is a thread where people talk about what theirs like https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/892133/chickens-fav-treats

10. Henryettaslady

Henryettaslady New Egg

Aug 8, 2014
    Texas

Thanks so much!!!
    :p:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by