New hen found outside enclosed pen, sliced from beak down

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Orpingtonman, Jan 8, 2009.

1. All,

I bought 3 new black sex links adn when i came out the next morning, i only had 3 left. After an exhaustive search, i found her laying in the ditch, behind the house, (sorry for the graphic explanation)split from her beak all the way down , with all the intestines gone. I have raised livestock all my life but i have never run into something like this. Any insight would be grealty apreciated.

2. peeboo

peeboo Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    sorry for your loss. i don't have any predator experience so far, wish i could be more help. so she was in tact but split from the beak down w/o intestines? was there any other damage done?

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    So sorry to hear of the loss of your chickies! [​IMG] Sounds like a possum or could even be a coon. Where in NC are you? I'm in the far western part of NC.

4. Everything was intact but the "inards". ive never seen this before. i had in my mind it was a coon but every time i think about it, ive never seen a coon do that.

Im in Roanoke rapids, right above rocky mount.

**** 1 buff orphington roo, 1 RIR roo, and 12 red and black sexlink ladies******

5. no other damage was done to her either. Thats what makes me wonder about it.

6. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Did u have them shut up in some sort of coop? If so, did you notice any scratch marks on the coop door? If you have a fenced in run, did you notice any small round holes in the fence wire? If no to all of the above, then that is really strange indeed. [​IMG]

7. Talani-

They are in an enclosed run divided in half with 2 coops on each side. The back of the coop is my privacy fence. I checked all around the fencing, top to bottom, side to side and i only found one small hole. About the size of a fist, with a feather hung on the chicken wire. So watching alot of CSI, i deducted that thats where it came in and out of. I meedately closed it up and checked evrything again and havn't lost another one since. I just don't understand what animal would kill and eat in that matter

8. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    It's usually the possums - nasty mean creatures! [​IMG] They have razor sharp teeth.

9. Yeah, i took that into consideration too. Guess i will hafta stay up one night and see if i can catch him with his hand in the cookie jar. Thanks for you're help

10. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Could it be a weasel?
    I've heard they almost exclusively eat innards...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: