NEW HEN HELP

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by suburbansilkies, Sep 10, 2016.

1. suburbansilkies

suburbansilkies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2016
    England, UK
    Hi guys, Today I got a a new frizzle and silkie for my silkie hen because her 'sister' got taken by a fox and j didn't want her to be alone. My white hen (whom I've had for a while) hasn't had problems previously with frizzles but she keep violently pecking the new black frizzle in the neck. Should I interfere? Is this natural? Is it hurting her? How best should I introduce them? Tips?

2. suburbansilkies

suburbansilkies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2016
    England, UK
    Do I need to quarantine them?

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If they've already been together, it's kind of late to quarantine now. Any chance your frizzle is a cockerel and your hen noticed? Please check out the "Look but don't touch," method of integrating new birds to your flock. Just put that in the search box and it will come up.

1 person likes this.
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Happy you joined us. I agree with the advice Diva gave you. Best of luck! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

It's too late for quarantine now, but yes, you should always quarantine. 99 times out of 100 the birds are fine, but it only takes one time to infect your flock wth a contagious disease or a nasty parasite. Introductory methods like "see but don't touch" are ideal, as they reduce aggression and picking. This is done by allowing the birds to range in a nearby area to your existing flock, so they can see each other but are physically separated. This should be done for 1-3 weeks depending on exact age and amounts of birds. Then, barriers should be removed and new birds placed with the existing flock after night has fallen. An additional feeder and waterer should be added to the run. Some bullying is natural in any introduction, and you should only interfere if blood is drawn.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by