new hen... hiccup/sneeze?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by what was i thinking, Mar 29, 2009.

1. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i have got two new bantam sf hens.(from auction, yes) one makes this sound like a hiccup and or sneeze. she has no signs of running nose or anything, is very alert and clear eyed. both of them had poop crusted in balls on there toes, so bad they had lost some nails. they stink horribly, like they have been sitting in dirty cages for ever. i cleaned up there feet, much happier now. i have them in a cage seperated from all my other chickens. i have been giving antibiotics for a week. she still makes the noise. it is almost like she only does it when i am speaking to her. when i am in the barn doing chores, i don't hear her do it. my other faverolles always mad silly noises when i spoke to them.
    what is this noise she is making? sick or no?

2. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    nobody has had a hen with "hiccups"???

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    One of my hens does it all the time. I always thought it was some kind of anxiety or excitement, it's usually when it gets near feeding time, but at other times too. There's nothing wrong with my sneezer hiccuper.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  4. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    Quote:i am glad to hear yours is fine. i am waiting patiently to let them be with the others. they want out pretty bad. but i am waiting to see if she stops.

5. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:i am glad to hear yours is fine. i am waiting patiently to let them be with the others. they want out pretty bad. but i am waiting to see if she stops.

Mine's been doing it for about a year now.

6. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny

Mine's been doing it for about a year now.

thanks that makes me feel a little better

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Just a little????? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by