New Hen, how to tame and integrate??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tripp16, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hi everyone. I lost a bantam last week and only had one left. So I got another one to give her a friend. Well I picked her up tonight and turns out that she has never been handled because she wasnt "show" quality.

Anyways what would be a good way to integrate her with my other hen the easiest way and how can I tame her? She is very pretty I dont see how she isnt show quality. Oh well I love her.
    Thanks for the help!!

2. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

can you isolate for 30 days? if not I'm thinking side by side so that they can see each other for a while. (keep feeding many times a day, she will think you are food dispenser and who doesn't like those.

RobertH

3. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Well I thought about isolating but she is in a dog crate and I would hate to leave her in there for so long. I will do the side by side thing and I was thinking of bringing lots of treats! She has NEVER had treats just regular feed poor thing... she is about to enter a whole new (better) world. LOL Thanks for replying!

4. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    You can handle her a bunch and that will work with the taming issue

5. steelersfan43

steelersfan43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    NE IN
    I would put her in with the others at night to minimize the stress. There will be a pecking order issue but as long as you keep an eye on her she should be fine. Also keeping her separate for a little bit might be a good idea till you are sure she is healthy and wont get your other chickens sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by