new hen is getting the cold sholder, and a hard beak!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ScootersNotBombs, Mar 15, 2011.

1. ScootersNotBombs

ScootersNotBombs New Egg

Mar 2, 2011
    We have 2 RIR in their second year. I just bought a new Barred Rock who is in her first year. They will not get along.
    I tried introducing her in her own seperate box (dog crate placed in the coup), give them plenty of space, have let them try to fight it out and establish a pecking order, and even scolded the 2 older RIR for pecking the new girl.

At night, after the 3 have gone to sleep, i put the new girl in with the others. During the day when they free range, the BR runs away, but if the 2 RIR can catch her they pull out her neck feathers. I think 10 days would be enough time to establish dominance?? When the two mean hens run at her, my poor barred Rock sometimes lays down and lets them take a few attacking pecks before she runs away!

Any suggestions as to what i should do? I thought about buying another BR from the same guy who sold me mine, as they would be the same age.

I really feel sorry for her, and the back of her neck is looking pretty rough. (I have been putting neosporinon it) She is SO sweet to people.

Me and Loretta
    [​IMG]

2. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    Sorry for your troubles. Perhaps if you took the more dominant of the RIR's and put her in the dog crate away from the other 2 for a week or so, this may help shake up the pecking order. Good luck!

3. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Remove your RIR's, then replace with the BR. Wait 48 hours, and introduce one RIR. see what happens. Then 48 hours later do the other RIR. possible this will stop the problem.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    If you can, the TWO other barred rocks from the fellow you got her from....That way, the newbies will at least outnumber the mean older biddies!

5. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I have always had good luck when adding two at a time and seperating them with a screen all day and in a crate at night for two weeks at least. I have never been able to integrate just one. It's like the new introverted girl trying to join a sorority. It's could even lead to death. All chickens are different so I hope it ends up in harmony.

6. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I agree, adding one is asking for trouble.. Throw in a few more so they can't target one bird..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by