New hen = Missing featers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WoodGG, Mar 30, 2016.

1. WoodGG

WoodGG New Egg

Mar 30, 2016
    Hello,
    I got two new beautiful 2 year old Cochin hens, they came to me with all their feathers.
    However they came into my group and been pecked at (I know it is the pecking order) however... As she came she has lost a lot of feathers on her chest and some of her skin looks as if she has been bleeding and plucked alive.

The two girls don't peck back as such and show the language "ok, your in charge just stop pecking me and I will get out of your way"

All I would like to know is....
    What is the best way to help her feathers grow back?
    How long will it take to grow them back?

So far my girls and boys have...
    -Dried grass and hay
    -Mealworms on special occasions (changing weather generally)
    -Grit
    -Corn
    -Pallets
    -Plus bugs they find

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Once there is blood it is past normal pecking order. I would seperate her and your other hen from the rest of the flock, let them heal. Maybe a cage in your coop where the two hens can be seen but not touched. If you do reintroduce them to the flock make certain you have two seperate (and not within sight) feed and water sources.
    ETA: You might look for Blue Kote, it should be at the feed store. It will color your hens wounds blue so the two seperate hens do not peck at each other

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  3. WoodGG

WoodGG New Egg

Mar 30, 2016
    Hello,
    Thank you, I know this sounds very stupid or something, but all of my hens seems to be very vicious when there is a new member around, such as they all gang up at once, is there any specific way I could introduce them to new hens?
    Plus I am unable to separate my girls due to no room and other cages.

4. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by