New hen not eating drinking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kelebek1977, Jan 20, 2017.

1. kelebek1977

kelebek1977 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    I just got a new polish hen. As soon as she went in to the shed with my polish flock she hid or roosted high. She has now stopped eating and drinking. None of my birds are bullying her it just seems she's scared stiff! Is it possible for her to be depressed?

I've syringe fed her egg yolk, Bvitamins and electrolytes. I'll bring her indoors if need be but she's in my large brooder at the moment, separated from the rest.

Any help is appreciated

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Bring her inside moving chickens to a new home is very stressful to them.Give her Eggs and put vitamins in her water.Keep her there for a week or so so she can get used to her new surroundings.Then you can slowly introduce her to your flock.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    When adding a new chicken, it is safer to keep them in quarantine for around 30 days to make sure they are not showing signs of illness. Look for mites and lice, and think about worming them. Since she has already been added to your flock, I would place her in a dog crate in the coop with the chickens, so they can see and smell one another for at least a week.Then allow some supervised visits out in the yard, an hour before dark, so she will come back inside. There is normally some pecking to show her the pecking order, but there shouldn't be injuries. She will probably roost away from the rest for awhile until she feels more comfortable. I use the portable fencing with a roost below covered with bird netting on top, to introduce new chickens.Wire dog crated work well.

[​IMG]

4. kelebek1977

kelebek1977 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Hi thank you.
    She's been quarantined already. Had her wormed on flubenvet and she's free of lice. The problem is she's not eating. I've had to syringe feed her for the last 24hrs so I dont think putting her back with them will solve anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by