New Hen not Laying

tinastae

In the Brooder
May 23, 2020
I’ve got a new Plymouth Barred Rock hen who is 2-3 years old not laying for about three days. Do you think it’s because of a new environment or i just got scammed with a old hen?

Attachments

• 694DD2F4-2B5E-4733-9D30-BDFE8BB89BCA.jpeg
    694DD2F4-2B5E-4733-9D30-BDFE8BB89BCA.jpeg
    949.5 KB · Views: 5
I’ve got a new Plymouth Barred Rock hen who is 2-3 years old not laying for about three days. Do you think it’s because of a new environment or i just got scammed with a old hen?
The stress of the move will cause her to stop laying for a while. Molting season is also upon us.
Do you have other chickens?

I have 5 other hens. They are all 5 months old and only two are laying so far. What is molting season? I'm a bit new to chickens.
When hens in their second year and older start to drop their old feathers and grow new ones. That don't lay and molt at the same time.

Moving is stressful and they may not lay for a few weeks after being rehomed. Plus she could be close to molt, and if she's more 3 years old instead of 2 years old, she might be slowing down with production overall anyhow.

You didn't get scammed, they told you she was 2-3 years old.
If you live in the northern hemisphere, she will likely molt before she lays again.

Back
Top Bottom