New Hen not Roosting with others

michellebergman

Chirping
Sep 3, 2020
California
Hi All,

I recently added 2 new hens to my little flock. One of the new hens will not roost with the others. She is the lowest on the pecking order and gets a bit picked on. So I'm thinking this could be why she's not roosting with them. What should I do for her?

Also both new hens are laying hens but since I have had them, only one is laying (not sure which one as I've not been around to see who it is). Any thoughts on why one is not laying right now?

Thanks!

Time. I have added hens a few times to our flock and it sometimes takes a while. When I added three to our existing three they roosted separately for about 2 months, then I added a single, sort of an emergency adoption at the beginning of the pandemic, and she roosted separately for about 3 weeks after being added in, but now they are all together by their own choice. I should add I wouldn't voluntarily add a single chicken to a flock, it can be risky for the singleton, so I moved super slowly with her, as in she wasn't turned out to range with them for probably a month and I didn't put them in together at night for almost a month and a half. As they learn about each other they work things out.

I recently added 2 new hens to my little flock. One of the new hens will not roost with the others. She is the lowest on the pecking order and gets a bit picked on. So I'm thinking this could be why she's not roosting with them. What should I do for her?

Be patient. Mine are most brutal to each other as they are settling down on the roosts at night. The ones highest in the pecking order get to sleep where they want and can be quite brutal in enforcing that pecking order right. It's normal for my juveniles to not sleep on the roosts with the mature flock until they mature enough to force their way into the pecking order. A little different from your integration but not that different. As long as mine do not sleep in the nests and are somewhere predator safe I don't care where they sleep. They will work that out on their schedule.

Also both new hens are laying hens but since I have had them, only one is laying (not sure which one as I've not been around to see who it is). Any thoughts on why one is not laying right now?

Not sure what you mean by "laying hens"? I'll assume she is old enough that she has been laying. Could be many different things.

Chickens don't like change. It's not unusual for a hen to stop laying when something has changed and caused stress. That could be a change to the coop or a change in flock make-up, among other things. If this is it she should start back up pretty soon.

In California you are north of the equator. This time of the year chickens often molt and stop laying. Are you seeing feathers around? It's not that unusual for people to sell their hens when they are ready to molt so they don't have to feed them over winter. They often bring in pullets that will lay better than the older hens.

A common cause of us thinking they are not laying is that they are hiding a nest. With her in a new location that could really be true. Could she be laying and you can't find her egg? Some of them can be pretty clever at hiding a nest.

Be patient. Mine are most brutal to each other as they are settling down on the roosts at night. The ones highest in the pecking order get to sleep where they want and can be quite brutal in enforcing that pecking order right. It's normal for my juveniles to not sleep on the roosts with the mature flock until they mature enough to force their way into the pecking order. A little different from your integration but not that different. As long as mine do not sleep in the nests and are somewhere predator safe I don't care where they sleep. They will work that out on their schedule.

Not sure what you mean by "laying hens"? I'll assume she is old enough that she has been laying. Could be many different things.

Chickens don't like change. It's not unusual for a hen to stop laying when something has changed and caused stress. That could be a change to the coop or a change in flock make-up, among other things. If this is it she should start back up pretty soon.

In California you are north of the equator. This time of the year chickens often molt and stop laying. Are you seeing feathers around? It's not that unusual for people to sell their hens when they are ready to molt so they don't have to feed them over winter. They often bring in pullets that will lay better than the older hens.

A common cause of us thinking they are not laying is that they are hiding a nest. With her in a new location that could really be true. Could she be laying and you can't find her egg? Some of them can be pretty clever at hiding a nest.

Thank you for the information. I have seen a few feather around, So maybe they are starting to molt. I have look around the property but have not found any stray eggs. I'm thinking she just needs time to get comfortable with her new environment.

Time. I have added hens a few times to our flock and it sometimes takes a while. When I added three to our existing three they roosted separately for about 2 months, then I added a single, sort of an emergency adoption at the beginning of the pandemic, and she roosted separately for about 3 weeks after being added in, but now they are all together by their own choice. I should add I wouldn't voluntarily add a single chicken to a flock, it can be risky for the singleton, so I moved super slowly with her, as in she wasn't turned out to range with them for probably a month and I didn't put them in together at night for almost a month and a half. As they learn about each other they work things out.

Thank you for the information!

Back
Top Bottom