New hen not very active

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by riverwed070707, Aug 12, 2013.

1. riverwed070707

riverwed070707 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    Iowa
    We got a new hen yesterday. She's a polish crested. When we met the family to get her they opened the box and she was just laying on the bottom totally motionless. Farmer said it just because it was dark. Seemed believable. But then It continued all night. She doesn't get up and move around, lots of sleeping and just seems out of it. She's eaten a little but hasn't had any water. She's not interested in the other chickens, nor are they in her. Didn't try to move away from my dogs (they're nice to chickens but seemed odd for a hen whose never met them). Really not sure what to do. I will call the farm this morning but I don't even really know what to say other than asking what her temperament is like. I've had a few sick chickens and other than seeming lethargic she doesn't really "look" sick. She even laid an egg about 20 min after we brought her home. Snuggled up next to dd and next thing u know dd says "look an egg!" Lol

She was on display at the state fair. Wondering if she maybe picked something up? Stress? What can I do?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I wouldn't accept a sick hen into the flock...I'd return her if possible.

3. riverwed070707

riverwed070707 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    Iowa
    She's isolated for now. Was kind of hoping she was maybe just stressed and might pop out if it. Dh says she's drinking now and is up and alert but not active. Just hangs in the same area and isn't moving about like we're used to seeing with our other hens who are always pecking and on the go

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by