1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new hen owner with sick hen with closed eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by junedaly, Aug 15, 2014.

1. junedaly

junedaly New Egg

Aug 15, 2014
    [​IMG]

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    What other symptoms can you describe? Is she the only one? Have you checked out the poo in the pen for abnormalities? What are they eating?

3. junedaly

junedaly New Egg

Aug 15, 2014
    Hi all, sorry I posted my pic before the information part!
    2 weeks ago I got 4 bramha pullets at a poultry fair to add to my flock of 10 rescued battery hens. The new hens are kept indoors for now in a different part of the shed from the rescues.
    This morning one bramha had half closed eyes,this afternoon she was worse with one eye completely closed. I also noticed a slight cough which my other hens never did. I separated her in the shed with water and boiled egg over her food, she seemed thin when I checked her over and shes quite listless on her own. Can anyone advise what's best to do next? Does she need a vet or can anyone tell me if its an eye infection or something more?
    Thanks in advance guys :)

4. junedaly

junedaly New Egg

Aug 15, 2014
    Had a look at the poo pics @BayBay Peepers thank you, very useful. In general their poos are a little watery but normal enough I think and I've just separated her so I can see her poo alone. I'll post a pic when she goes.
    The other three seem fine scratching about as normal.
    Thought I heard one of my other rescue hens cough a little, they're separated by a wall, would it be too late to move them in case of any disease spreading?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  5. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Have you wormed your flock at all?

If it's a respiratory infection you'd need antibiotics. It would be hard to know without tests done. Do you have a vet nearby you could take the sickest one too?

6. junedaly

junedaly New Egg

Aug 15, 2014
    They are due worming now, I have flubenvet for them. I don't know if the 4 new hens were wormed, my plan was to worm them altogether.
    I contacted my vet but they're closed until the morning. Should I take the sick hen indoors for the night perhaps?
    I checked her there and she was sleeping but squawked when I woke her, her breathing seems laboured or else she's snoring (I don't know if hens do that!)

7. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I would bring her in. Keep her warm and comfortable and I hope someone comes up with other suggestions. I hope she pulls through alright. Do you have any electrolytes you could give her?

8. junedaly

junedaly New Egg

Aug 15, 2014
    I have a box ready for her, no electrolytes I'm afraid, I missed the vets but I can get some small animal dosage in the morning. She hasn't eaten any of the food I gave her so it looks like a trip to the vets in the morning and hopefully its not something contagious. Thank you for your advice @BayBay Peepers :)

9. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Good luck! I'll be crossing my fingers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by