new hen, runny nose.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkielover92, Sep 26, 2011.

1. silkielover92

silkielover92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Eatonville Washington
    I bought a new sea bright bantam hen today, and she has a runny nose. It was more of a rescue. Well I put her in the isolation coop...my dad comes in thinks she just got out, and I left the door open to this coop and she went in there.. well he caught her, and put her with my whole flock! She's been in there all day with 15 two week old chicks, and their mommas and everything else. Should I leave her in there since she's already mingled with everyone and ate with them and sneezed on them.

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    No take her out , the rest of your flock is at risk. Look up respiratory diseases in chickens. You may yet save some of your chickens from it.

3. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Not good. However, your dad was trying to help. Now, you are going to have to be proactive. I would pull her out and reisolate her. However, everyone has been exposed to her problem. You already know to keep new rescues away from your flock for at least 30 days, but that has been compromised. So, I would start treating her with Duramycin. Watch you flock closely. Hopefully, your flock is in great health and strong enough to fight off anything they have just a slight exposure too. But be prepared......They will probably get it. The good news is tetracycline or Duramycin should get you through. Good Luck!! Try not to be frustrated with dad.....he was trying to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by