New Hen Stopped Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CATRAY44, Jul 26, 2008.

1. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

I have a new hen, as of 2 weeks ago. She is a 2 year old EE who lays huge green eggs. She laid an egg the day after I brought her home, skipped a couple of days, laid another, skipped a couple days and laid one more. No eggs in past several days. I went to the grain mill where her old own bought her feed and am trying to feed her per his instructions (which were pretty basic.). I have calcium in a bowl for free feeding. I keep her water container full of ice. She has made a nice nest NEXT to the nesting box and seems pretty happy (as long as I don't get too close.) Is this just her getting adjusted? I have seen a small amount of feathers here and there- is it too early for molt? We live in Michigan and some of the days get really hot. She appears healthy and energetic.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

It is probably just her way of getting adjusted. If you are seeing feathers, she might be in molt as well. Mine are just finishing a molt...bad timeing for us, as everyone wants eggs...and we are not back up to production yet! LOL

3. CATRAY44

I am hoping that is all it is. Thanks!

4. chilisweet

chilisweet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    My new hen is doing the same thing. I think we got 4 eggs out of her before she stopped! I'm bummed!!! But someone on here said it could take as long as a month for them to get adjusted and laying again, so hopefully that is the case for you and me! [​IMG]

Let us know when she starts laying again and show us a picture of her eggs. I wanna see 'em!

~Caran

5. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    I would say heat and stress, Give her about a week or so and she'll get back to normal.

6. CATRAY44

Thank you both... just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

7. CATRAY44

It looks like she is molting- finding more and more feathers....is this normal for July? She seems to be adjusting well to her coop and coop mates, eats well, and is very active. Any thoughts on this July molt?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by