1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New hen struggling to lay an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pastiche, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Pastiche

Pastiche Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2016
    Our gold cuckoo marans started egg-laying behavior a week or more ago: the submissive squat, the egg song, and she repeatedly goes into the egg box as though she's trying to lay an egg. But despite this behavior for more than a week -- no egg! The white marans we got at the same time started laying 3 weeks ago, and usually gives us an egg every other day. What can be going on with the gold cuckoo marans?? I've even peeked in the egg box and seen her pushing. She's otherwise fine. Good appetite, walking around normally, no problems.

What the heck?!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    From your description it does not sound as if she is having reproductive tract problems. She is just not quite ready, but is practicing the routine.

3. Ballerina Bird

Ballerina Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2014
    x2; mine practiced for quite a while before they actually got started, going up and down into the coop, sitting in the nest, etc., for at least 10 days before the first egg actually appeared.

4. Pastiche

Mar 7, 2016
    Thank you so much! That really helps!

5. Ballerina Bird

Aug 29, 2014
    It's the karma wheel! [​IMG] I posted pretty much the exact same question as yours a year and half ago when my pullets were at POL, because I was confused like you, and people sent the same reassuring response.

6. Pastiche

Mar 7, 2016
    Love it! Hope I'm able to do the same down the road. Well, I have one more question then. One of our young hens (who has been laying 5-6 eggs a week since she started a month ago) has suddenly gone on strike. No eggs for 5 days. Is that common also?

She doesn't seem sick, though she is disgruntled at us. We are integrating two new pullets into our 3-hen flock, and she is desperately trying to make sure they know the ropes: namely, she is the queen. She's an interesting hen. Very affectionate. A lap chicken who is flirtatious and expects the best treats. Rules without pecking generally.

That has changed with the advent of the two new gals. She tried a little chest bumping first, but has devolved to some chasing and an occasional peck. I've now see her peck her two buddies a couple of times! Do hens stop laying when they feel threatened by new chickens maybe? Our white marans is still laying like clockwork, but she doesn't seem much stressed by the newcomers. Or do new layers sometimes take a week long break? Or more? (I hope not!!)

Thank you again!

7. Ballerina Bird

Aug 29, 2014
    I haven't done any flock integration, so I'm not sure I can answer this question specifically, but my sense is that some of them are quite sensitive and changes in environment can definitely throw off egg laying. Someone with more expertise will know more about the flock integration part of this question, but to me it seems like that would not be totally out of the ordinary to take a break.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Stress can cause them the cease laying......adding new birds and defending her territory and pecking order status can definitely be stressful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by