New hen suggestions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Larson Chicks, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Larson Chicks

Larson Chicks Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2015
    East Idaho
    I'm looking to add 4 or so new chicks to my flock this spring. We have 14 so far and they're decent layers, except our 2 americaunas. I'm looking for pretty birds and cool or colored eggs. Production is not greatly important but alittle obviously. I love the americauna's eggs but one never lays and we already have 2. I live in Idaho so they need to be cold hearty even though we heat the coup.

We already have 4 Sexlinks, 2 barred rocks, 1 white and 2 black leghorns(great layers but only white eggs), 1 rhodeisland red, 2 americaunas, 1 buff Orpington, and 1 light brahmas.

Would love some suggestions. Thanks.

2. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Wyandottes are very pretty i have silver laced they lay brown eggs not exactly exciting but they lay great. Maran lay chocolate eggs.

1 person likes this.
  3. Larson Chicks

May 17, 2015
    East Idaho
    I'm looking at varied colors of Orpington and brahmas.

4. ch1ckenlover

ch1ckenlover Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2015
    VA
    Speckled Sussex are very beautiful birds, and Welsummers lay VERY dark brown eggs.

1 person likes this.
  5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I totally agree about the Speckled Sussex ! The hens are super friendly and beautiful, pictures don't do them justice. Welsummers and Black Copper Marans lay nice dark eggs. Wyandottes come in beautiful colors and are very nice birds, with small combs. Same for Chanteclers. The buff Plymouth Rock hens I had were also nice. Mary

6. AuntNomi

AuntNomi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2015
    Callahan, Florida!

I have 3 Blue Orpingtons, they are beautiful chickens. All 3 of mine are a different shade. I love them. I will be getting more in the future. Mine just started laying and its a light brown egg.
    Welsummers and Marans lay a dark egg, I have both breeds as well, but they haven't started to lay yet as they are a little young.

7. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Do you have the true Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers? My EE's are incredible layers. Even when my flock did a group molt they were the first ones back at laying and they lay extra large eggs in various shades of green and blue.
    The dark and chocolate colored eggs are cool, but the birds who lay that color aren't my best layers.

8. Larson Chicks

May 17, 2015
    East Idaho
    We got them as Ameraucanas. One, Ammo, never lays, she's 1.5 and our other one, MiniMe, lays about 4/wk, she's a year. I'm thinking of doing some EEs, silver laced Wyandotte, and speckled Sussex. It just depends what my small town gets.

9. Larson Chicks

May 17, 2015
    East Idaho
    Thanks everyone. Great ideas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by