New hen trying to steal chicks ?? Do they do this? Broody????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicks_N_Horses, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Well chick, not chicks....she only had one hatch.

I got a new hen several days ago and this morning I stuck her in the Nursery coop with the moma hen and her chick for a little bit while I reorganized the coop I was fixing up for her.

Right away she goes over, really slowly, to the moma hen and starts bumping her out of the way and trying to nudge the chick under her! She was trying to steal the chick!! The moma hen was not too thrilled about it though, she proceeded to jump the other hen. I found it quite amusing but so I took her and put her back into the other coop and gave her the new 15 chicks I got last night from my dad. They are all about a week old. She kinda likes these chicks but not nearly like she liked the moma hens chick.

Does this mean she is a broody hen?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

There is only one way to tell. Wait for her to sit and not move.

3. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    She probably is... with babies she'll let them under her to keep warm, show them how to eat/drink/scratch etc...

only way to tell if she's truly broody is to give her eggs... but with babies around, she'll probably ignore eggs till the fuzz-butts are grown a bit...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  4. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Since I have gotten her she has laid an egg and she has been sleeping in her box on her egg - or did - I took it and put it in the bator.

I have only one broody so I am not too familiar with them but it was a hoot watching her trying to steal that chick! I should've gotten the video recorder out. LOL

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by