New hen wants to roost....on me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by the 3 amigos, Jun 13, 2017.

1. the 3 amigos

the 3 amigos New Egg

Jun 13, 2017
    I'm new here and from Québec (Canada), pardon my English..I had my first laying hens last week of approx 20 weeks old. In the evening when I go to put the hens in the coop and close the door to the run, one of the chicken jumps and roost on my arm...someone knows why she does that? When I put her on the roost to show her where to go she gives me some attitude...they have not started to roost yet. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  2. JazzDrummerNic

JazzDrummerNic New Egg

Jun 13, 2017
    Monterey, Calif.
    My hens do the same some nights. I nudge them onto the bars, but sometimes they just like to crowd into the laying box.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Are you sure she's a she? I would not allow her to do so. Such liberties can lead to an eye or lip getting pecked.

4. the 3 amigos

the 3 amigos New Egg

Jun 13, 2017
    She's suppose to be a she...how can you tell the difference at that age?

5. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Can you post a pic? Saddle and hackle feathers should be pointed in a cockrel at that age instead of rounded. His comb will be larger. He should be crowing at that age. If there is not a male in the flock, often the alpha female will take a leadership role, which may result in more aggressive behavior. Your English is just fine.

6. Abriana

Abriana Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2017
    my blue coop
    I have several hens that jump on my lap and i get attitude from one when i put her down. Lots of annoyed noises and trying to jump back up. It could just be a friendly hen.

7. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Love your signature.

8. Abriana

Abriana Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2017
    my blue coop
    Thank you, it's my favorite bible verse. I write it on everything lol!

9. the 3 amigos

the 3 amigos New Egg

Jun 13, 2017
    can't take pics...my cell is ''capout'' but I examined her carefully yesterday...she has a tiny comb and the rest is just normal so it's really a SHE. She did not try to roost on me yesterday, maybe it'll pass. Thank for your replies...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by