New hen wants to roost....on me!

the 3 amigos

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 13, 2017
I'm new here and from Québec (Canada), pardon my English..I had my first laying hens last week of approx 20 weeks old. In the evening when I go to put the hens in the coop and close the door to the run, one of the chicken jumps and roost on my arm...someone knows why she does that? When I put her on the roost to show her where to go she gives me some attitude...they have not started to roost yet. Thanks!

Last edited:
Can you post a pic? Saddle and hackle feathers should be pointed in a cockrel at that age instead of rounded. His comb will be larger. He should be crowing at that age. If there is not a male in the flock, often the alpha female will take a leadership role, which may result in more aggressive behavior. Your English is just fine.

I have several hens that jump on my lap and i get attitude from one when i put her down. Lots of annoyed noises and trying to jump back up. It could just be a friendly hen.

Can you post a pic? Saddle and hackle feathers should be pointed in a cockrel at that age instead of rounded. His comb will be larger. He should be crowing at that age. If there is not a male in the flock, often the alpha female will take a leadership role, which may result in more aggressive behavior. Your English is just fine.
can't take pics...my cell is ''capout'' but I examined her carefully yesterday...she has a tiny comb and the rest is just normal so it's really a SHE. She did not try to roost on me yesterday, maybe it'll pass. Thank for your replies...

Back
Top Bottom