New Hen..whats the deal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lanissa86, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Ok, So I got this pretty Buff laced Cornish X EE, she is approximately 10 months. Guy said she was laying beautiful colored Eggs. Well its been a week since I brought her home almost and have not gotten one Egg from her! I know chickens can get stressed with moving, but this is my first "older" chicken since my girls are too young to lay. When is she suppose to start laying? Whenever she feels like it? Is it bad for her that she is not laying? Thanks for any info/help.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    It can take as long as 3 weeks for a hen to destress enough to lay again, give her time.

3. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Ok, Thanks! Just didn't know if it was bad for her or not.

4. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    Our new ones took a few days and some have just now started back ( we bought 10) and they did not lay in the nest box. Some of tem are laying in a tree stump. So if thye are not cooped up all day you may want to go on an egg hunt.

5. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Well I doubt it since they are only out under my supervised watch (in the city, I have to make sure no one flies into the neighbors yard). But I will double check the backyard to be sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by