New hen - when's she going to lay for me?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wizbop, May 9, 2011.

1. Wizbop

Wizbop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    I've had her 8 days. When can I expect this gal to lay? She's getting along fine with my other girls now (for the most part), but still. . . no eggs from her.

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I say thursday at 7:14 am....

so what is the prize if we get it right?

3. Wizbop

Mar 27, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Quote:You might be on to something. She gave me her first "egg squat" today! The hen has NEVER let me pet her, unless I was holding her after I had chased her down. I'll give you her first egg if you're right. You just have to drive here to get it. [​IMG]

I talked to a friend of mine who said that it took her "re-homed" hens about 4 weeks before they started laying. I was really just wondering what to expect.

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    that is a long drive!

I have had birds neer miss a lick when they were moved and then it has seemed like months before some did....so many factors

5. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    My older hens took about a week to lay when I moved them to my house. My pullets started laying at about 16-17 weeks. I got them when they were 3 months old. When the pullets started squatting, I got eggs from them within a few days.

6. Wizbop

Mar 27, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Quote:I don't know. I guess I'll give you credit. You got the day right! WTH? That is TOOOOOOO funny. She layed at noon. I was gone to pick up my daughter from preschool. I knew the egg was on it's way. She was checking out the coop, walking circles around it, inspecting the nesting boxes, practicing her egg song (making me run outside several times for false alarms).
    You are GOOD! Her egg was beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by