new hen won't go to the coop at night

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hensmummy, Jan 25, 2014.

1. hensmummy

hensmummy Out Of The Brooder

Hi there we ended up having to swap two of our chickens because they decided to use their voices the other day!!! SUPER LOUD!
    We got two new ones and they seem to have settled well into the flock.
    The only problem we have is that one of them won't go to the coop at night by herself. the other 4 are in there and she ends up tucked under a bush in the run.
    So we have put her in the coop for the past 2 nights but just wanted some ideas on what to do...
    Do we keep doing that in hope she will learn to go in?
    Do we wait till the other 4 are in there and then shepherd in?

Any ideas would be gratefully received.
    Thanks

2. Crysta

Crysta Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    Florida
    If you have the space you could wire off a section of your coop and keep her in that area for 3-4 days. I would recommend giving her something to keep her entertained though. This is what I do with my newly introduced chickens and they walk back into the coop at night every time.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  3. alyxl02

alyxl02 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    Crysta has the best idea I know, it gets them used to the area and as she watches all the other chickens go in she will start to follow. Another thing is, if you feed them manually without any feeders, in the morning to get them all out pour food into run and at night pour food in coop and they should all sleep in there.

Hope this helps an good luck,

Alyxl02

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by