New hens aren't laying

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mommymc, Apr 18, 2017.

1. mommymc

mommymc New Egg

Apr 18, 2017
    I brought home 12 Rhode Island Reds about 2 weeks ago that are 11 months old. The coop is right, the food seems right, but they still aren't laying. I'm only getting 1 egg a day. I do have dogs, but they really aren't bothering them. Any suggestions?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    11 month old RIR Pullets/hens should be laying, but if you just got them---they are probably stressed. Keep them in a pen for a few days to see if they are laying. Your dogs might like eggs and you do not know it(never seen a dog that did not like eggs). Plus the hens could be laying some where else if you are free ranging and the dogs get them there.

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under mommymc [​IMG] Welcome!

Good advice from PD-Riverman. They could just still be settling; while most say it takes them a couple of weeks to settle in, that is not set in concrete. Do they have nice red combs which are indicative of being ready to lay? Are they squatting for you at all?

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, mommymc, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Teila and Riverman gave you some great advice so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by