1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New hens being lazy with their eyes shut

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by drewskimac, Sep 23, 2015.

1. drewskimac

drewskimac Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    I introduced several new hens to my flock yesterday, and I put them up on the roost as it was getting dark... today, they are in the exact same place I put them, there is no telling if they havnt moved from there or if they have got down when I'm not around. Yes, I am going to put their beaks in water and make sure they know where it is at etc... however, I am wondering, they are just sortve sitting their with their eyes shut... is this normal behavior for hens that have just been introduced to a new flock?

Thankyou all!

2. drewskimac

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    UPDATE:

Now all 3 new hens have the symptoms and one of them is making the gurgling noise while it is sleeping. I have got them quarantined and am giving them antibiotics in their water that were given to me by the vet for a lousy chick a earlier this year.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sorry does sound like some respiratory illness, that happens a lot this time of year with all the weather changes, and a new home is stressful, hope yours recover.

4. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Definitely keep them to themselves like you're already doing. What meds are you using?

5. drewskimac

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    I have no idea what the name of the meds are, I just know I had a chick that kept laying on its back and slowly closing it's eyes while standing up like these ones are doing and the vet gave me a bottle of antibiotic powder to put in their water.

I'm not too worried about them recovering, I think they will be fine. they don't seem too horrific, just not well. They were all crammed in a very small space together so i'm not the slightest bit surprised if they all have respiratory illness.

6. drewskimac

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    Also, they arent seperated by much. they are in a dog kennel about 4 inches away from the main run for my flock. However, they arent anywhere near where the flock roosts at night. This is fine, right? As long as they aren't in direct contact with them, eating and drinking in the same area where poop and stuff can get ingested? The main flock has plenty of space to roam around without being beside these, they are by no means crowded together. I'm just curious, as I have never had to quarantine birds before.

7. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Honestly I'm new to this myself. I had the same problem with one of mine not to long ago. You can look at my threads and read what I was told to do. A woman on here named two crows helped me out so much. If you can't find what you need to know on here anywhere, she'd help you I'm sure. It'd be nice if you knew what the antibiotic was. I gave oxytetracycline shots for seven straight days to mine and also worked the entire flock. This could be very serious but I'm not the one to ask. Sorry. Hopefully someone will chime in soon.

8. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Also you will want to put this in th emergency thread. That way it gets noticed quicker.

9. drewskimac

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    Thanks very much for your input. By the way the birds are acting it doesn't seem very serious to me. However, I'm new to this as well. I'll monitor them tomorrow and if they aren't doing well still i'll post in the emergency forum

thanks!

10. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Good luck. The sooner you catch it,the better. Hope they all make a speedy recovery. Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by