1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New hens escape temporary pen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LGKChickens, Jan 24, 2016.

1. LGKChickens

LGKChickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2015
    NorCal
    I would love some help! I purchased 2 hens last night, and have had them in a temporary pen next to my coop. They were fine early this morning when I checked on them and gave them food. Then While drinking my coffee, I noticed the EE on top of my Chicken yard. When I went out to investigate, the other hen also escaped and went up onto the fence. They came down, but now they are behind the Chicken coop and yard in the bushes. I tried to coax them with shacking some feed in a cup. Did not work. How do I get them back? They are used to free-ranging all day. Should I just wait till it starts to get dark and see where they decided to sleep for the night?

2. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! You can try to coax them out with putting a pan of feed out in the open so you can catch them and pen them up again. Watch them to see where they are escaping.

3. LGKChickens

Oct 27, 2015
    NorCal
    They don't seem to be interested in feed at all. I put feed out, but they just are staying in the bushes. I think maybe the stress of the move has made them not very hungry.

4. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Maybe. Give it a couple hours for them to settle down a bit.

5. LGKChickens

Oct 27, 2015
    NorCal
    Wil do. I would hate to loose them and have some predator make them dinner. The smaller mixed hen is a known broody.She is about the size of my Sicilian buttercup hen.

6. LGKChickens

Oct 27, 2015
    NorCal
    All chickens are back in their own safe and sound.

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I'm glad your new birds are back in their temporary pen. Did you figure out how they escaped? I'd be concerned that if the chickens can get out, then something else can get in.

8. LGKChickens

Oct 27, 2015
    NorCal

I think they pushed open the top. I put them in the garage at night so no predators will go after them. I spent most my day making sure the hawk that likes to visit didn't make them dinner.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Hope you can keep your girls safely contained.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by