New Hens, ex-battery hens. 5 for $15

Trippwyre

Hatching
Apr 12, 2017
Good Morning,

So I picked up 5 hens yesterday and well they are pretty rough looking. I am going to include some photos and hopefully get some opinions. It is my understanding that they are 18 months of age and ex-battery hens although I am assured they are all laying nice big white eggs. This is my first time owning hens so I am very new to this.

Thanks,
Bill

Hopefully, with time, space to exhibit natural chicken behaviour and a bit of TLC they should look a whole lot better in a few months. Battery stock is usually replaced once they are 18 months as their productivity tends to decline after that time. That's a generalisation however, so you may well have some great layers for a while to come.

Here's a link to a search on ex-batts - https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=ex+battery+chickens

Keep in mind that your hens may be starting or about to start their first bid molt, where they will slowly regrow new feathers. The first molt is about 16-18 months of age, and once a year thereafter. You will see them losing big patches of feathers in the coop, and see new pin feathers coming in. During that time, they will stop laying, and may eat less and feel poorly. Give them a little extra protein to eat. Once molting is completed, and since they are not living on top of each other, they should start looking very pretty. Good luck with your flock.

Picked up some Crumble Feed today and they practically dove into it. There were 3 eggs, two outside on the ground in opposite corners of the pen and one inside the re-purposed dog house (it was cracked on the end and my son wasn't too gentle so it went on the ground) I'm just glad they survived the first night without any coons coming in from the top of the pen which is open and there has been a fox in the area as well.

Back
Top Bottom