New hens-how long before they start laying again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Angiebubs, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I brought home 2 laying age hens, how long until they are comfortable in new home and begin laying again?

2. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    anyone?

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I just recently rehomed some 1 year olds and they went right back to laying at the new place.
    However we moved them at night and the new owner lives just about a mile from me.
    So I guess it would depend on how upset they got and how comfortable they feel now.

4. lollimama

lollimama Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    Hi! I got two from a friend a while back and one started right away (like she had layed an egg in the box we brought her home in![​IMG]) She was a black sex link, the other, a Buff Orpington, has been much more timid and fragile about her egg laying. She took about a week to warm up to us and start laying and even then, if anything changes she gets stressed very easily. She's molting now...and not laying at all. Such a bummer becuase her eggs were so big we couldn't even close the carton around them! I'm certainly no expert but I'm sure yours will perk up soon!!

5. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Thanks hennyannie.

I picked these up about 10 mins from my house, and they seem to be very relaxed int heir new home. I beleive one of them is only 5 months old, the other 1 yr. Possibly the 5 month old just started and will take awhile to get back into laying?

6. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Didnt ask what kind they are? I think the younger ones are more affected by moves than the older hens.
    I bought 10 RSL pullets one year in August, they were 16/18 weeks, took them till Oct to start laying.

7. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Hens are black orpington, and the other is a Dorking mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by