1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New hen's laying in other coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ddmiddle7, Jul 15, 2011.

1. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ok, so I am integrating two 9 month old hens to my flock of five, 14 week olds. I have the two older hens in a temporary coop that I made in my shed. This is it on the left the blue coop is where the 5 younger girls reside.
    [​IMG]

I have had the two older hens for about two weeks now and have been getting an egg a day from the BO and an egg every other day from the PR. They have been laying their eggs in a 5 gallon bucket I put in the shed on its side religiously everyday. Now they usually don't lay until at least 2pm but usually a little later. When I got home today I could not find any eggs in the shed at all.... even though they roam the yard all day, they still go back to the coop to lay their eggs in the bucket. I walked all around the yard thinking maybe they found a spot in the yard somewhere that they liked better...no luck! [​IMG]

So, I figured eh...I will get two tomorrow, no big deal. After dinner we went outside to give the girls a snack and I couldn't find my BO anywhere. I was freaking out thinking she got out of the yard or something. So I started to call the girls, "chick, chick, chick". Then out she pops of the blue coop that the younger girls live in....I was dumbfounded, they have never even tried to go up the ramp or showed any interest in the other coop. They put themselves to bed in the shed every night right around 9pnm when the other girls head to their bed, So I poked my head into the coop's pop door and viola!!! TWO EGGS SITTING IN THE CORNER OF THE COOP!
    [​IMG]

One from the BO and one from the PR....I couldn't believe it. I could tell the BO just laid hers because it was still hot and the other had cooled off, so the PR must have laid it sometime earlier today. Because I always go out to check on the girls and get a head count before I lock everyone up for the night, I know there were no eggs in it from yesterday...At first I was floored I knew it couldn't possible be from one of the younger girls...still too young. They have been free ranging together for about two weeks with no major issues. The older girls will peck and chase the younger girls, but not very much. Most of the time I find all seven of them in relatively close proximity to each other during the day. They even all relax under an old fence panel I have leaning against the fence together when it is super hot out.

Do you think I should close the shed door tonight and see if they all go to the real coop together? I mean if the other two girls follow them in should I leave them in there? I don't want any of the younger girls to get hurt, and yes I know their will be some issues on the roost at first but I would love to have my shed back(actually my wife does, I blocked all our stuff in with a temporary wall to house the two in the shed. LOL).

Sorry to rant...but you all know how exciting these girls can be...I would love it if they decide to become one flock already...

Thanks,
    Dereck

ETA: Added pictures

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Well, I ended up trying it...so I shut the door to the shed after I posted and waited. they went to bed a little later tonight so I had to wait longer. The younger girls went to bed like normal and roosted and preceded to go to sleep. The older girls stayed out a bit longer, then finally headed towards the shed. They saw that the door was shut and turned around and walked around the younger girls' coop a few times then finally went up the ramp. They stayed just outside of the pop door for about ten minutes then walked inside. No one really cared the younger ones starting cooing a bit and looked at them and then went right back to sleep.
    Now I have been having trouble getting the older two to roost. Where they were at before they never roosted in the coop. He let them sleep where they wanted (usually on the ramp itself). So I have been putting them on the roost in the shed after dark all week. They just cuddled up together in a corner and went to sleep. So, I waited until it was completley dark and went out and put them on the roost. That is where they are currently sitting at now, sleeping.

YEAH!!!!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by