New Hens-No Eggs!!!!???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cinderblockcoop, Sep 3, 2008.

1. cinderblockcoop

cinderblockcoop New Egg

Sep 3, 2008
    Fuquay, NC
    PLEASE somebody help... I brought home 1 yr old hens 5 days ago and nary and egg has been laid! I had to go buy eggs this morning, how irritating. This has never happened before; I have always (after each flock gets decimated by some critter or another every few years) bought 8mo to 1yr old hens, to get back to gathering good ol' eggs. But this little flock of 5 will not lay! Black Australorps, healthy, safe, well fed, well watered, and the days are still 14 hot hours long.
    Any answers?

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    It can take as long as 3 weeks for them to settle in enough to lay eggs, just give them time.

ETA: [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    In most cases, with a move at this age it is 'stress' on the egg laying. It can take them up to 2-3 weeks to start laying again. Many different stresses can occur that throw their laying off.... Heat and a move to a new home are big ones.

I hope that helps the situation...

AND WELCOME!!!

4. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    I bought 1 year old hens and they took 2 1/2 weeks to lay. They went through their molt and when that was done they became my little polish egg laying machines. A few weeks later some of my original girls started to lay. Just give it some time.

5. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    [​IMG]

They will lay once they have adjusted to their new home.

Good luck!

6. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Oh, by the way... Welcome neighbor!!!

7. cinderblockcoop

cinderblockcoop New Egg

Sep 3, 2008
    Fuquay, NC
  8. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Hey you Fuquay people... I'm over here in western Johnston county... really close to you! [​IMG]

9. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Nice blog page, definitely need to add a new chickie momma. Its addicting once you start.

We've gotten 5 in 2 months, and want more. Good thing we're out in the country with plenty of space.

Mamahen2, I have friends your way. Not so chicken friendly, but they'll take the eggs! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by