New hens not laying

vatterpa

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Indiana, PA
I have 4 new to me hens that are 6 mos old. They have been here for two weeks and they still haven't layed an egg. They all look really healthy, but I have no idea? They should have everything they need. Do they just need more time?

Sometimes a hen will stop laying after a move like that. Also, they have just become at point of lay...some lay early, some later. Were they laying when you bought them? If so, its probably just the shock of the move and the strange digs.

I've just had a similar problem...3/4 of my hens are laying once a day, but the other one WAS laying once a day and is no longer laying (4 days in a row). They are all looking healthy and they also have everything they need. My one hen who's not laying sleeps a lot and seems "depressed" and almost dimwitted/slow....but she's eating/drinking/roaming, etc.

Maybe we'll both get some answers here...

Jrvv

3?'s 1. what kind are they, some breeds take longer to lay. 2. were they laying when you brought them? 3. are they molting?

They are Americaunas and they were laying when I got them. They are not molting and look really healthy. Like uber shiny and not a feather out of place.

Yes I have them on layer feed and I don't know about worming. They were in a very clean enclosed coop within a barn and now are in a outdoors coop with attached run.

She said she has been changing feed to what ever was cheapest at the time and that it had not changed how many they laid.

I get that I moved them and they are freaking so that is why there have been no eggs, but how long to you typically give them before you give up?

Back
Top Bottom