new hens pecking on one hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigdawg, Sep 9, 2009.

1. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    i have just relocated 6 hens and two roosters to a new hen house that had only one resident hen.(lonely survior of dog attack) i put them in at night as i was told to do. it didnt work. those 6 red sex link monsters attacked my pour little white leghorn hen. i had to remove her her and doctor a very bad cut on the back of her neck. please help me in getting them all to get along together. i dont know what else to try. i even had her in a large cage with food and water inside the coop. they still want to attack her. please help.[​IMG]

2. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

I am dealing with similar "new girl" issues myself. I just think sometimes you need to give it a little time.

Having the new girl safe in a pen where the others can see her but not hurt her is a good start. You might introduce her slowly, one chicken at a time. Take one of your girls at the bottom of the pecking order and have her share the cage with the new girl. Then introduce another - watching of course to make sure not too many feathers are flying.

Once they figure out where she is in the new order of things life should be better for everyone.

Good luck [​IMG]

3. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    thanks, i will try anything at this point. i just checked on her and she is hiding in the nest boxes. i will be out there before daylight. thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by