New Hens *Photo Added*

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KFox, Aug 5, 2011.

1. KFox

KFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    I got 4 new pullets/hens tonight.

1 EE - Previous owner called her A-something but comparing her to the EE's on this site, I think that is what she is.
    1 Black Australorp
    1 Buff Orpington
    1 Welsummer

The previous owner was really nice. She had 40+ chickens and was downsizing. Her coop was nice. Some of her birds had bare backs. One had a curled toe and another had big blister-looking thing on her foot. Overall, they looked ok though. I made my selections and brought them home. They are in isolation in my barn.

Edited to add: I did NOT bring home the curled toe or blister foot chicken. I did get a bare back and a bare belly.

One needed a bath. She messed her crate. I put petroleum jelly on all the legs and dusted under wings and around vents with Sevin. I sprinkled Diatomaceous Earth and Sevin around their pen.

I plan to keep these four in isolation for 30 days.

Do I need to do anything else? I was thinking maybe apple cider vinegar in the water or safeguard them? I didn't see any parasites, however I do not want my other chickens to get sick.

Is 30 days too long or long enough?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Congrats!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] 30 days is long enough

3. KFox

Apr 19, 2011
    Thanks! My small flock is complete. [​IMG] [​IMG]

But the bad news: These girls need a little TLC.

[​IMG]

4. KFox

Apr 19, 2011
    [​IMG]

Buff Orpington girl didn't get a photo. She was not nice about the camera and I didn't want to stress her out.

The girl in the above photo loved the bath.

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Good for you....congrats and kudos to you for the rescue...they will be happy and thriving very soon!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by