New hens put in to the coop!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dixiedoodle, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    DH has not been happy w/ all my chickens taking up so much of my time....being home before dark, up early, etc, etc etc.. He wanted to go out of town today,to the lake w/ our boat (which I don't enjoy I get motion sickness, so I take meds which help but make me feel really bad-)--but I go because he loves it so much.. Then out to dinner w/ friends who live there...Meaning we would be home @10pm. I asked a neighbor to come by and lock up the chickens...It has been the first time in 26yrs I have asked him to do anything for me---and I always take care of his animals-- birds, rabbits, dogs, cats, rats, horses, hamsters and even a snake--AT least 6times a year... He 'jumped' at the chance to "repay me in some small way".. SO, I get home tonight go out to make sure everyone is ok...FIND my two new girls had been put into the big coop...I JUST got them yesterday... I know he was trying to be helpful, but I am so worried about not having them in quarantine.. IT was dark, even w/ my flashlight I couldn't tell if the big girls had pecked them.. They were roosting on the cage that's in there, not on the roost.. Now what do I do?? I separated them again--I know it's too late for health reasons but I don't want them to get pecked on... They are still young and new to the older girls.... I did dust them for mites as soon as I got them home...BUT that was it...

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Well, obviously he was just trying to be helpful and didn't know...

You'll just have to cross your fingers and wait to see what happens, but I would continue to keep them separate for a while.

3. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I tried not to sound too upset when my dh asked if everything was ok.... and I know the neighbor thought he was helping --doing a really good job..Just scares me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by