1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New hens sleeping outside...is this okay in winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KerryB, Jan 13, 2013.

1. KerryB

KerryB New Egg

Jan 13, 2013
    Northern Indiana
    I just added four new hens to my small flock of four (I doubled my flock!) So two of the four wont go in the coop! It rained ice all day and now its super cold out. They are huddled together on the roost in their pen, and from what I've read here I'm still mot sure whether I should move them in or not. I'm wondering if the older girls establishing pecking order has anything to do with it...suggestions?? Thanks!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

they totally need to get out of the wind to sleep [​IMG] move their fluffy tushies

3. ChemicalchiCkns

ChemicalchiCkns Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2012
    I advise Caution in letting chiCkens alone outside a closed Coop in the Dark of Night on account of Predators.

4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I'd keep moving them inside. I too have one who roosts in the tree in the run. It's predator proof. But I put her in the house EVERY night for months. We went away for 6 nights over the holiday and so I know she slept outside. While she was safe, there is clear evidence ALL around the run that raccoons were working to get to her every night.

Beside, it's super cold out now.

My alpha hen pecks at her in the house and I know this is why she doesn't want to go in. But I keep at it and the pecking is less. I've also learned what order they all want to be in on the roosts so I just pluck my little one out of the tree and put her in her proper place.

They'll work it out eventually.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've had birds roost in trees year round, in all the weather we get here, which is a lot more mild than yours! I'd move them in, just cause they're new and don't necessarily know where to roost yet. Make sure you have enough space they aren't crowding the old girls and offer some different roosts. They should catch on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by