New hens stopped laying???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DomiHentrix, Oct 31, 2008.

1. DomiHentrix

DomiHentrix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    I was given two six month old beautiful white rocks as a gift. They haven't laid any eggs in the three days I have had them, should I expect them to lay any eggs at all before spring?

Thanks in advance! Lara

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Were they laying at all before you got them ?? Or did they stop ??

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Typically moving hens is stressful on them and causes them to shut down they're lay cycle. They may even go into moult. It really depends on the individual bird if they come back into lay sooner or later.

Jody

4. DomiHentrix

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    Quote:They said that they thought they were laying, but they haven't in the three days I have had them

5. DomiHentrix

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    Quote:Thanka, that is what I thought, I just wasn't sure how long it would be. I will just take this time to get to know them! [​IMG]

6. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    One of my neighbors bought 4 RIR laying hens last fall. They didn't lay any eggs for 2 to 3 weeks after he bought them.

7. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

If they were laying before you got them then its the stress from moving them, especially if you changed their food,bedding etc.
    Its hard for them just being in a new place but if alot of things are different from their previous home then its a little more stressful for them.
    If they were laying, it could be a combo of the move and and the change in the amount of light they get, with it getting darker earlier.
    Its also a possibility that they haven't started laying yet and they will, but with the days getting shorter it may take longer than usual.
    Good luck, enjoy your gift.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by