New Hens think they're boss.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigredfeather, Dec 6, 2008.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I got two Austalorp hens this week to add to my flock of 8 RIR hens and 2 RIR roos. I was intially concerned the RIR's might pick on the new comers. Turns out it is the opposite. Every morning I give the hens a pan of wheat sprouts. This morning I stuck around a few minutes to see if the RIR's would let the new comers eat. As I watched, the one Austalorp would peck at the RIR's who were trying to eat out of the pan. I also noticed the Austalorp's roost at the top of the roost where the roos usually go.
    Is there anything that can be done to stop this from happening. My guess is no, but then there are alot more people in the BYC that may have greater knowledge of this subject than me.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Nope, they've got new buddies and they gotta work out the pecking order. Best that you let them do their thing and all get along vs getting involved and prolonging the issue.

3. clarkestep

clarkestep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    N Metro Atlanta
    My older girls did that to my younger ones when I moved them in with the younger ones (they were all about the same size, too). They've been together a month and a half now and all is well in the coop.

Actually, it is quite funny, one of the younger girls has had enough and now she pecks back at one of the older gals. I saw her peck the older gal and thought to myself, 'way to go Brownie!'

4. Ah yes, the chicken nite nite roosting pecking order half hour.
    We used to watch the one color take the other color on during the roosting time every nite. Really, it was quite commical and they all want this certian place on a 8 ft. 2x2 one foot off the floor. Gezzzz..... chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by