New hens to a new coop and laying eggs while roosting at night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tberry2504, Feb 10, 2017.

1. tberry2504

tberry2504 New Egg

Feb 10, 2017
    I just started out with a new coop and got a few hens from a few different places. Is it just because they're in a new environment? It's only 2 of several hens and they are both of the same breed that are doing it. The other breeds are using the laying boxes. Is it just stress related? Will they figure out the laying boxes soon? Or is there something I can do to help them figure it out?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Are they standing/roosting on roost poles or on top of a box etc at night?? It happens that a hen will drop a egg from her roost at night even with hens that have been around a long time. They should get use to the laying boxes soon. A few fake eggs left in the laying boxes for a while can help.

3. tberry2504

tberry2504 New Egg

Feb 10, 2017
    They have seemed to find their favorite place on the roosting post and seem to spend A LOT of time there. No eggs at night when I close up the coop, and when I go out at daylight there are yolks directly under each hen. I'm assuming the other chickens are eating the shell before I get out to the coop.

4. tberry2504

tberry2504 New Egg

Feb 10, 2017
    They have seemed to find their favorite place on the roosting post and seem to spend A LOT of time there. No eggs at night when I close up the coop, and when I go out at daylight there are yolks directly under each hen. I'm assuming the other chickens are eating the shell before I get out to the coop. *And I have had an issue with a few hens and the rooster trying to roost inside the laying boxes. there are still several open so they have plenty of room. I am planning to add more roosts this weekend and see if that stops the sleeping in the nests at least.

5. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I would NOT allow them to sleep in the nesting boxes. Most of the time when I move new young chickens to a new coop I have to train them to the roost----so every night at first dark I go to the coop and take the chickens out the nesting boxes and place on the roost---after 2 maybe 3 nights they usually stop. As far as the one's dropping the eggs----pad the floor area with some soft hay or what ever so the egg doesn't break when it hits the floor. I have had some hens that would drop a soft/deformed shell at night----try visiting the coop before daylight to see what you are dealing with. Do you have free-choice oyster shells in a pan?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  6. tberry2504

tberry2504 New Egg

Feb 10, 2017
    Not yet. I have been reading and trying to decide what my best options were. I will add that to the coop as well.

1 person likes this.
  7. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    A good 16/18% layer is all you need and a hand full of ground oyster shells in a pan(they can not turn over) is a good set-up. Add more when needed.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Could be 'new place' stress...how long have you had them?
    More info needed.
    How many birds?
    How old are they?
    How many nests?
    How big is coop and run...in feet by feet?
    Pics would help.
    Oh and what is your climate?
    Putting your location in your profile can help folks give better answers/suggestions.

Sometimes thin or soft shelled eggs don't 'feel right' and are laid off the roost and break easily, making them fair game for eating IMO.
    A bird who spends a lot of time on the roosts during the day may be being bullied/harassed by other flock members...pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by