New Hens tree Roosting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jflynn253, Sep 25, 2016.

1. jflynn253

jflynn253 Just Hatched

Aug 24, 2016
    I currently have been given 5 Leghorns that have been free range and have been tree roosting. Now that i have them, my flock is inside each night inside of a coop, also their run has a fence because hawks and predators in the area.. I tried to get the new hens in last night but they were way to quick so the slept in a holly tree next to the coop. I found eggs all over this afternoon.

Can i get them to roost inside and how do i get them to get the eggs in one spot.

Any help???

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    [​IMG]

Is your run covered? That would be the first thing I'd do - make sure the run is covered so they can't fly out. Depending on the size of your coop, I would also suggest catching them (can you reach them where they're roosting at night?) and keeping them in the coop for several days - maybe even a week or more. (I would only do this if the coop is more like a shed type building and not a "doll house" coop that can be purchased at your local farm supply store) If you just have a small coop, keep them locked in coop/run until they are homed to roosting and laying in the coop.

3. jflynn253

jflynn253 Just Hatched

Aug 24, 2016
    My run is covered and the coop is big like a shed it can hold 15-20. It has to boxes that we access from the outside. These chickens are tough to het because they are about 8' up in a tree. I'd prob have to get a ladder. It is also a holly tree. Is it impossible. No, but getting one I am not sure if the others would jump and fly away

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I'm in MN, and don't have holly trees, so I am not familiar with them. Sounds like it would be a problem, though. I'm thinking 8' up on a ladder in the dark isn't probably the best idea anyway... Do they go into the coop/run to eat? Maybe you can just close them in if they go in there for food. Not sure how else you can catch them. I hope you do, though, before a raccoon, owl or some other night time predator does.

5. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Need to try to get them into the run and then lock them up until they "learn" to roost in the coop.
    Might have to lock the entire flock up for a week.
    Otherwise its only a matter of time before a coon or owl gets them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by