1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New hens - what breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by theburtschickens, Sep 3, 2009.

1. theburtschickens

theburtschickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    Well, as I mentioned in another post, the chicken bill that would allow Nashville, TN citizens to legally own a few chickens in their urban backyards did not pass. [​IMG] Sad day, but we'll keep fighting for it.

The day after the voting, I picked up these two chickens from a lady who was giving them away because she'd heard about the ruling on TV. It was heartbreaking...she mentioned that she was going through hard times because her husband lost his job, and these 2 eggs a day were really helpful. My conscience demanded that I try to talk her out of giving them away, but she didn't want to take the risk of a fine. sigh.

Anyway, the point of this topic is that we now have two new brown egg layers, Daisy and Kayley, and I'm not exactly sure what breed they are. Not that they won't still give us eggs if we don't know, but I'm curious. Disclaimer: the pictures are horrible. I didn't take these specifically to post on this topic, so these were the best two pics I have of them. If it's not clear, then I can certainly get some better shots.

I think that Daisy (the red one) is either a red Sexlink or a Rhode Island Red, and that Kayley is a black Sexlink. Thanks in advance for any expertise!
    theburtschickens

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. damarisgw

damarisgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    tHE FIRST ONE LOOKS LIKE A BLACK SEX LINK AND THE SECOND ONE A RHODE ISLAND RED OR PRODUCTION RED

3. theburtschickens

Aug 15, 2009
    Thanks! I found one better picture of the Rhode Island or Production Red. How do you tell between Production and Rhode Island?

[​IMG]

4. OutInTheStiks

OutInTheStiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    Black sex link and red sex link. The second looks too light to be a RIR (in my opinion at least).

5. theburtschickens

Aug 15, 2009
    Ok, I'd wondered about that...I forgot to mention that it is actually closer in color to the younger red sexlink than our young RIR.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by