new hens with established small flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by friendlyearth, May 16, 2008.

1. friendlyearth

friendlyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    near Olympia, wa
    We added 4 young (but fairly big fully feathered) hens to our flock of 3 hens and 1 rooster last week. The young ones are still getting henpecked. We seem to have two separate flocks. The older hens (who are about a year old) will see the young ones and run over and start attacking. They are buff orpingtons and have great personalities. I am somewhat surprised by the difficulty. The rooster loves them all [​IMG] How long will it take before they act as one flock? My 11yr old daughter (the primary caretaker who will be taking 1 or more to the fair this year in 4H) wants a separate area for the younger ones. I feel this would just prolong the separateness.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Peggy

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    From everything I have read it says to keep them separate but able to see each other for about a week so they adjust to the fact of more chickens. Eventually the hens will get used to the new ones being around and stop being so aggressive.

I have a hen that was brought in over a year and she still dodges pecks every now and then. It is part of the pecking order!

3. friendlyearth

friendlyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    near Olympia, wa
    Thanks. It has been about a week, hopefully, they will figure out the pecking order and get along better soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by