1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New hens with flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ADChickens, Nov 21, 2016.

1. ADChickens

ADChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2016
    Texas
    Need some advise. I have 3 hens (8 mos) and got 3 new hens (5 mos) about a week ago, I've kept them apart but where they can see each other through a wire fence. I know there will still be a pecking order to establish and I'm watching closely as I let them out in the run together yesterday. Two of the three newbies didn't go in the coop so we placed them in there after everyone was asleep. Once they came out of the coop this morning the three new girls were chased around some and then flew up on top of the coop. They are left pretty much alone up there but they will not come down. My question, will they come down in time for food and water or should I place them back in the smaller run and wait for more time? Thanks in advance for your time.

2. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    I would leave them - just ensure they are getting food and water at some point. Mine would do what you describe, then when the other hens were busy elsewhere, they would fly down and eat/drink. Then fly back up if another hen came near. Do you free range your birds? If so, that's a great time for the less dominant members of the flock to get their turn at the feeders or waterers. They can also mingle more with less conflict while free ranging and get used to each other. I have a multi-generational flock aged four to 16 weeks, and they all free range together and roost either in one of my two coops or in the rafters of the barn. I've noticed that the more dominant hens will roost together in one coop while the less dominant will roost in the other. The roosters and a few of the younger hens will roost in the rafters of the barn.

It will work itself out!

3. ADChickens

Mar 12, 2016
    Texas
    OK, I'll stick it out..ha. Thanks for the advise.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    1 person likes this.
  5. ADChickens

Mar 12, 2016
    Texas
    Thanks for the links!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by