New hens won't come out of coop.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by VicarHen, Apr 23, 2018.

1. VicarHen

VicarHen Hatching

Apr 23, 2018
    Hi
    I've got three new hens, about 16 weeks old. They've been raised in a shed and not yet free ranged.
    They were keen to go to bed (which is handy) but now don't want to venture outside at all. I got one out thinking the others would follow, and she scratched about for a bit, but then went back to bed, with the others. Should I just leave them to settle in, and find their freedom when they're ready, or eject them so they learn their new boundaries?

2. RWise

RWise Songster

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I think they will learn what to do and where to go, let them have some time, (and maybe feed outside) good luck!

3. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Crowing

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    Just be patient. These are prey animals, and as a result their instincts are to be cautious in a new environment. They won't stray far from the safety of the coop for a while.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

How long have you had them?
    Like the other said, just be patient.

5. CCUK

CCUK Free Flying

Jan 21, 2018
    North Notts, UK
    My Coop
    That's teenagers for you! Won't get out of bed! Seriously though, give them time to readjust. They will settle down and when they realise the great outdoors is better than indoors they will be fine. Then you won't be able to get them in! Just make sure the feeders and drinkers are outside. That will give them a reason to go out.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    That behavior is normal. Sometimes when I first open the pop door for the first time every chicken is on the ground within 15 minutes. Sometimes it takes 3 days before the first one ventures out. I typically provide food and water inside and out so it's not an issue.

On this type of thing I try to not force them. Let them manage it any way they wish. They will be OK and I don't have to stress.

peeper89 likes this.
  7. peeper89

peeper89 Songster

Feb 21, 2017
    this good :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: