New Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JakRat, Dec 6, 2011.

1. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I am thinking about getting two hens to replace the two roosters I had to give away. Will these two new ladies get picked on too bad?

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    they will have to go through the pecking order...it can be a not so pleasant sight....give them places to run and hide...to get away from the other girls.
    If you are replacing roos with hens...they will have to find an alpha leader to take the roos place also.

make sure you quarantine them for a while to make sure they aren't carrying any diseases too.

3. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    We do still have one rooster... he is a little banty... hes a cutie pie. I havent quite figured out who the head of the flock is though... they are still young, and just started laying.

4. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    so what age are you looking at getting...? Close to the same age and size as the ones you have?
    that would be a good idea, there will still be some major pecking going on...and if your banty roo isn't in charge, one
    of the girls will step up.

5. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    yeah prob around the same age. I have an EE that likes to think she is in charge, but the other girls and rooster just look at her like "yeah right you are nuts".

6. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    give it a try....you can keep them separated for a week or two, but keep them where they can see each other...then try releasing them together for a short time...and see what happens.

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I don't worry too much about the pecking order if there is not a size/age difference. There should always be more than one when you are adding chickens. After the quarantine period is up, just put them in (or you can do it slowly, never had to do that myself). The pecking order is usually figured out within a week. I've never had any serious pecking except with my first four girls. They bullied the youngest bantie pretty badly. No blood was drawn, but I felt really horrible for her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by