1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jeff21, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Jeff21

Jeff21 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2012
    Southeast Kansas
    Hi all!

So this past weekend I got 25 new hens. I have been keeping them separate from my current flock of 7. (6 older hens and the old rooster)

How long would you suggest I keep them separated until I can introduce them all together?

Any pointers or tips?

I'm a bit rusty! :)

2. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    The consensus is generally 30 days to make sure that the new flock is healthy. Then I'd let them free range in sight of each other for awhile and see how they do. Of course I never take my own advice. After the 30 days I just throw them all together and hope for the best with me supervising while I do yard chores. I've never had an issue. The dominant hens in my flock usually chase the newbies around for awhile, but I've never had anybody beat up or hurt. Good luck with the introductions.

3. Jeff21

Jeff21 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2012
    Southeast Kansas
    Thanks! I will keep that in mind.

I am also looking into getting rid of "Sadam" the old rooster, and getting a couple of younger roosters to help look after all of my girls!

4. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    I have two roosters, twelve hens, three rabbits, and a mix of cockatiels,parakeets and love bird in my run. My chickens did kill a cockatiel once, but she was sick and probably would have died anyway. I've been really lucky so far. We'll see how I do this chick season when I want to add the babies into the mix....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by