New Hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KIWI CHICK, Jan 19, 2013.

1. KIWI CHICK

KIWI CHICK Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2013
    Hi, this is my first ever post so I hope I have it in the right section.

Yesterday I bought a second hand chook house off trademe (your craigslist) and it came complete with 14 x 2-4 year old hens and a rooster. I have rubbed their legs with vaseline as they looked a bit 'horny' and have dusted them all with Pestene for lice etc. They are isolated from my girls and look healthy except for feathers worn away on their backs I guess due to the attention of their rooster.I will repeat the dusting and vaseline in a week.

The house has been waterblasted and today will be sprayed with ripcord and then sprinkled with Pestene.

My question is.....what else should I do to prevent disease?

Thank you very much for any advise.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] You may want to worm them. Keep them isolated from your birds for 4 weeks and care for them after you have cared for your birds each day. Good luck with them.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Sounds like you've got it pretty well covered to me. I'd re-treat the house in 10 days to be sure everythingse gone and keep the new birds quarantined for at least 30 days. Good luck with your new additions!
    Nikki

4. KIWI CHICK

KIWI CHICK Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2013
    Forgot all about worming them...oops!
    I got 6 eggs from them today so seems a waste to use eprinex and waste all those eggs for the next couple of weeks, but never mind.
    Thank you for the speedy replies and the welcome. I have to admit that I have been lurking in here for a while :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by