New hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JeremyKSullivan, Mar 4, 2013.

1. JeremyKSullivan

JeremyKSullivan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2013
    Alabama
    I recently went to an auction and purchased 2 hens and a rooster. As far as I can tell, one is a sex link and the other is a black orp.I put them in a 7ft x 7ft pen that I had just built, with a doghouse lifted off the ground for them to get in. One of the hens laid an egg in the doghouse 2 days after I got them. 2 days later (day 4), I built nesting boxes as well as places for them to roost, and I removed the dog house. They haven't laid an egg since. It's been 8 days. The hay in the nesting boxes is rounded out like they've been in there, but when I go down there at night, they're on the roost and I haven't picked up any eggs. Do they need an adjustment period when being moved? If so, how long does this normally take?

2. cmoore333

cmoore333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    I added two hens and a rooster to my flock of three in November , and the two new hens didnt miss a beat, they laid the next morning, then I decided to add Ifour new hens to my flock, they just started laying over17 days without any eggs from any of the new hens... So it takes some time for adjustment for some,so every chicken is different.

3. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    The stress of a move can cause them to stop laying. When I added 4 new hens to my flock, they all stopped laying. You can put some apple cider vinegar in their water.. it helps with stress. I did this and within a few days, they were all laying again.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by