New Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 7prettybirds, Aug 29, 2014.

1. 7prettybirds

7prettybirds New Egg

Aug 29, 2014
    I have three hens and a rooster. Have had them since they were chicks now they are six months old. I bought three new hens the same age to add to the happy family. The new hens have been separated from the old with a fence so they can see and smell but can't touch and it has been two weeks. Tried to introduce and my rooster started attacking them and then the hens joined in. So back to the drawing board. What would be the best way to introduce them? I thought of taking all the older ones out of the coop and run for a couple of days and then put then put them back so they are new to it again,lol.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    WELCOME TO BYC!!

You need to introduce them slowly! Separate the new birds by some wire or something so the two groups can see each other but not reach and fight each other. After at least two weeks, let them mix. Be sure to provide lots of hideways. Also, extra feeders and waterers are imperative as bossy chickens will hog the feeders and starve the newbies.

Make sure the new birds have been quarantined too.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  4. 7prettybirds

7prettybirds New Egg

Aug 29, 2014
    Thanks Sumi this article is very helpful [​IMG]

5. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You're welcome. It's one of the Learning Center articles. Have you looked around there yet? There are some great articles in there on all sort of chicken related topics.

6. 7prettybirds

7prettybirds New Egg

Aug 29, 2014
    No, Sumi I haven't had much time to take a look but I will later tonight. I am very interested. I am still learning about my new family friends,lol. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  7. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    how do u introduce younger hens to an older flock...???

8. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Look at the article I linked in post #3. There is some good advice there.

9. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    ive read dat and i personally dont think it helps in my opinion its convincing me not to lolll

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by