New here and coop advice appreciated!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by edselpdx, Nov 11, 2008.

1. edselpdx

edselpdx Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I will be adding 3 pullets/hens to my menagerie here in urban Portland, OR early next spring. I have an existing (underutilized) shed in my backyard that's about 12 x 8 feet. I hope to partition about half of it for coop use, and add a secure run area of approx 30' x 5-6'. I have a dachshund who's already expressed interested in my friends' chickens (and brought me a baby possum last weekend), so I know I need a dachshund-proof--and oppossum-proof-- run).

I'm figuring 1/2 to 1/3rd of the shed for the coop and an at least partially covered outdoor run for daytime. Any hints for how best to adapt a prefab wooden shed appreciated. I'm thinking about a raised coop inside the shed at 3 feet or so off the ground to facilitate access and just building a ramp down to the run. I'll have some storage under the coop in the shed for feed bags, grit, DE, etc. Planning on a DLM coop.

I have acquired an old round-rung ladder that I can cut up for a roost... are the approx 3/4" dowels too small?

I've learned lots already here on BYC, and am looking forward to more!

ed

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Sounds like you will be making a very nice hen-friendly setup there [​IMG] Be aware that the only benefits of deep litter you'll get in a raised wood-floored coop is lower maintenance and a little more litter for them to snuggle into on cold days -- there will be no meaningful composting, heat generation, etc. Not a problem, just something to know.

I have acquired an old round-rung ladder that I can cut up for a roost... are the approx 3/4" dowels too small?

They'll sit on 'em if nothing else is available, but it's much narrower than they'd prefer. Something more in the 2-4" range would be a LOT better.

Welcome to BYC and have fun,

Pat​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by